NPH Peru’s farm produces organic vegetables, such as onions, carrots, lettuce, cucumber, passion fruit and chili peppers.
Recipe: Lomo Saltado
“Stir-fried steak” with delightful flavors is a favorite dish in Peru.
Time: 30 mins Serves: 4
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into strips
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp aji Amarillo paste
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb French fries, cooked, hot
- Optional: white rice for serving
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a large pan over high heat. Add the steak, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned, 5-6 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Heat the remaining Tbsp of oil in the same pan. Add the red onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened and browned. Add the tomato, garlic, and aji amarillo paste, and cook for another 5-7 minutes, until the tomatoes have released some of their juices but are still intact.
- Add the soy sauce and vinegar and stir to combine, let cook for 1 minute.
- Add the steak, fries, and cilantro. Toss gently to coat the fries in the sauce.
- Serve with rice, if desired.