59% of all food consumed at NPH Mexico’s main home is produced on site.
Nopales “cactus” with pork is a flavorful Mexican meal to prepare in the slow cooker
Time: 3.5 hours Serves: 4
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed, 1in cubes
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 dry arbol peppers (optional, very hot)
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ large white onion, peeled
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups jarred nopales/nopalitos (cactus)
- 4 tsp grean onion, thinly sliced, divided
- Using a slow cooker, combine pork, salt, and pepper. Mix until pork is well coated on all sides. Add garlic, arbol peppers (optional), bay leaf, onion, water, and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine. Cook on high heat for 3 hours, until pork is tender.
- Stir in the nopales. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove arbol peppers (if added), bay leaf, and onion. Serve garnished with crumbled queso fresco and green onion.