Our Impact: Health and Wellbeing Services
Health Issues in Latin America
Over half the children in the developing world are severely deprived of basic necessities, including adequate shelter, proper nutrition, safe water and quality health care.
- Almost half of the people in Latin America live in poverty which contributes to low levels of health care.
- 43% of children under the age of 5 are chronically malnourished in Guatemala.
- 40% of the population has no access to health care in Nicaragua and El Salvador.
- 138,000 children in Haiti die each year from preventable diseases.
- Across Latin America 1.5 million people live with HIV/AIDS.
- Insect and water-borne diseases present large medical challenges across the region.
Prior to joining our family, many of our children have never visited a doctor or dentist and are often suffering from malnutrition and/or preventable diseases. All children receive a health check upon arrival and are vaccinated as needed. If a child is ill, or has a chronic condition, the NPH medical staff ensures that he/she receives evidence-based treatment, safe cost-effective medicines, and any necessary therapy, including physical, occupational, art, speech and psychological. The staff also focuses on establishing healthy lifestyles so children can do well in school and excel as members of the NPH family. Each home emphasizes wellness programs that include nutrition, hygiene, health education, sports and recreation programs.
In addition to ensuring the good health of the children, NPH performs outreach for surrounding communities. For example, St. Damien Pediatric Hospital in Haiti treats over 100 children per day, and the Holy Family Surgery Centers in the Dominican Republic and Honduras provides outpatient services for NPH children and the rural poor as well as medical training. Overall, thousands of children inside and outside the NPH family receive quality medical care each year through our healthcare programs.
|11,296||Therapies (physical, occupational, speech, psychological)|
|454||Children and adults with chronic conditions, disabilities or special needs supported|
How you can help
|$500||pays for basic vaccines for 20 children|
|$1,389||provides eye exams for 100 children|
|$2,777||pays for comprehensive care for 15 children with chronic illnesses for one year|
|$5,200||covers dental exams and X-rays for 65 children|
|$10,165||provides emergency room services for 40 patients at NPH Haiti’s St. Damien Pediatric Hospital|
• Our Homes
• Our Children
• Outreach Programs
• Medicine and Health Fact Sheet (PDF)
• Nutrition at NPH
• St. Damien Pediatric Hospital Fund, Haiti
• Education Program
• Higher Education Program
• Girls’ Empowerment Programs