NPH Haiti produces a fifth of all food consumed at the homes.
Recipe: Poul Fri An Sòs
“Fried chicken in sauce” – this is a dish served on special occasions in Haiti.
Time: 45 mins Serves: 4
- 8 medium-size chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion, sliced in crescents, divided
- 1 leek, mashed
- 1 large pepper, minced (mild or hot)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- Pinch brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup lime juice
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3 Tbsp yellow or brown mustard
- 2 Tbsp vinaigrette salad dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white rice, cooked
- In a bowl combine salt, pepper, mustard, sugar, vinaigrette, garlic, leek, and two tbsp lime juice. Combine mixture well to create a marinade. Cover and set aside.
- Rinse chicken well with remaining lime juice and pat dry. Spread marinade over each piece of chicken.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and place chicken in to fry. Be sure to turn chicken so that it browns evenly on both sides. When chicken is nearly browned, add most of sliced onion and pepper. Stir well and cook until
fully browned. Drain excess oil.
- Add tomato paste and two cups of water. Stir frequently to lift browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Let simmer until sauce thickens.
- Prepare bowls with white rice and serve the chicken and sauce over the rice. Garnish with raw onion.