Children of all ages help on the NPH Guatemala farm.
Recipe: Guacamole & Tortilla Chips
Easy to prepare and well-loved in Guatemala.
Time: 30 mins Serves: 4
- 3 avocados, peeled and pits removed
- 1.5 Tbsp white onion, finely minced
- 1 tsp dired oregano
- 1 fresh lime
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup oil (olive, peanut, canola, or vegetable)
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sea salt
- Mash avocados with a fork until almost smooth. Stir in oregano, onion, and juice from lime. Add sea salt to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lay tortillas in single layer on baking sheet. Dry out the tortillas in the oven for 5 minutes. Cut each tortillas into six wedges.
- Pour 1/4 inches of oil into medium skillet. Heat on medium heat; test by placing in a small piece of tortilla. When the tortilla sizzles the oil is ready, if it browns, it is too hot.
- Place a paper towel onto a large plate and have several more paper towels ready. Place a single layer of tortilla wedges into oil. Use tongs to distribute and cover both sides with oil. Fry for about two minutes, until chips begin to brown and firm.
- Use the tongs to transfer chips to plate. Sprinkle with salt and let cool before enjoying.