Our Homes: NPH Bolivia
424,164 square miles – approximately the size of California and Texas combined
12,054,379 (2022 est.)
Spanish, Quechua, Aymara
Ranks at or near the bottom among Latin American countries in several areas of health and development, including poverty, education, fertility, malnutrition, mortality, and life expectancy; soil erosion; loss of
biodiversity; industrial pollution of water supplies
NPH Bolivia At a Glance
April 17, 2005
Casa Padre William B. Wasson is located in the lowlands 50 miles north of Santa Cruz in San Ignacio de Sara where the weather is hot, humid and rainy.
Family-style home, primary school (grades K – 6), medical clinic, gardens and farm
Community Programs include the Createens art program, and training workshops for children and youth in the surrounding area
113 children and adults supported
59 local people employed
12 K – University graduates
Did you know?
- Bolivia is the second country in South America to have an NPH home.
- Patricia Rueda became NPH Bolivia’s National Director in 2020.4
- Construction at the permanent site began in November 2006. The children and staff moved to the permanent site on January 15, 2008.
- A variety of vegetables are grown in gardens at the children’s houses. These gardens give the children a chance to acquire new skills in the field as well as learn the values of responsibility and patience. Food grown in the children’s gardens is used for meals, thus supplementing the home’s budget.
- The Createens art program provides a multifunctional safe space for teens to be creative, strengthen self-confidence, and develop problem solving while reducing depression and anxiety.
- NPH workshops prepare youth from both the home and community for independent living by focusing on personal development, finances, cooking, employment opportunities, and vocational training.
- The new dairy milk project provides children with fresh milk and makes the home more self-sustainable.
Bolivian law prohibits us from using photos that show the faces of minors.
• VIDEO: NPH Bolivia Home Tour
• Holiday Celebrations at NPH Bolivia
• Fact Sheet (PDF)
• Home Map (PDF)
• Visitor’s Guide (PDF)
Full Episode Recordings:
How to Help:
• Sponsor a child
• Support the NPH Bolivia home with a Mi Casa! Sponsorship
• Donate now
Learn about the other NPH homes:
Bolivia | Dominican Republic | El Salvador | Guatemala | Haiti | Honduras | Mexico | Nicaragua | Peru