NPH Bolivia’s garden produces melon, yucca, rice, beans, cabbage, onion, and tomatoes.
Recipe: Masaco de Yucca
“Mashed yucca” with pork
Time: 45 mins Serves: 4
- 1 lb pork chicharrón (grilled or roasted pulled pork)
- 3 large yucca roots
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Peel yucca roots and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place yucca in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until completely soft. Drain and set aside.
- Place oil in a pan and fry pulled pork and rind until thoroughly roasted. Let cool and shred into pieces. Set aside and reserve pork grease.
- Return to the yucca and remove any string-like roots in the center pieces. The root looks like a candlestick and should remove easily when pulled. Mash yucca until texture is similar to mashed
- Add shredded pork and mix well. Add 1-2 Tbsp pork grease. Knead mixture and salt to taste. The mixture should not taste oily, nor be too dry. If dry add a bit of pork grease at a time.
- Optional: Add a bit of cheese each into small bowls.
- Scoop mixture into bowls and press down firmly to give shape, then flip upside down onto a plate. Serve and enjoy!