Support our girls in Mexico!
Girls Empowerment Program
Our “Chicas Poderosas” program is dedicated to promoting women’s empowerment through workshops and extracurricular activities. Chicas Poderosas provides the girls with a safe space to bond and share personal experiences without judgment and to learn about gender inequality and promote social justice so they can overcome such problems in modern society.
Every year one volunteer leads the program organizing weekly sessions to learn about self-esteem, positive body image, healthy relationships, sexual education, violence, societal expectations of women and men, the importance of education, leadership skills, among other topics. Our current volunteer started to work in July of 2017 and will finish her volunteer period in July 2019.
Some of the activities that she organizes are:
- Workshops consisting of discussions, presentations, games, and movies to illustrate and describe the above-mentioned topics in the best way so the girls could take in as much information possible.
- Day trips, for example to the Frida Kahlo Museum and the Memory and Tolerance Museum in Mexico City.
- Day trips to an elderly home.
- Invitation of guest speakers to give workshops about self-esteem through yoga and meditation classes and self-defense courses.
- A journal for each girl to confidentially share with the program coordinator personal opinions, questions, ideas, etc.
- Festivities on important dates, for example, the International Women´s Day in March or the International Day of the Girl in October.
NPH USA transforms the lives of vulnerable children in Latin America and the Caribbean by supporting the homes, health services and educational programs of Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH, Spanish for “Our Little Brothers and Sisters”). Together, we help children overcome poverty and become leaders in their own communities.
Donations to NPH USA, Federal Tax ID # 65-1229309, are tax-deductible as provided by law and subject to our donation disclosure statements.