Regional Director’s Message
Happy New Year from all of us in the Northwest region at NPH USA! As always, our staff and Board are kicking off 2017 by reflecting on our progress and opportunities for growth over the past year. In doing so, we are infused with a deep appreciation for the 2,100+ individuals, families, foundations, businesses, schools, and faith communities who supported NPH here in the Northwest in 2016. Together, we raised more than $1.7 million in general funding to support our children in Latin America, plus an additional $1.7 million in legacy and restricted gifts. In fact, as I celebrated my seventh anniversary with NPH last week, I realized that during that time, your support has more than doubled, as contributions by Northwest donors have grown by an average of 13% per year. I am both excited and humbled by your caring and generous spirit!
Here are some other highlights from the Northwest in 2016:
- We graduated the fifth (and welcomed the sixth) annual cohort of 6 young leaders from NPH to the Northwest for a year-long program of study and leadership development. We also published a report on the impact of the program on the first 26 graduates.
- Our Associate Board for young professionals sponsored a variety of fun and successful events in Seattle, including Carnaval for a Cause, Hunt for Hope, and a Trivia Night. AB members also sponsored fundraisers at their companies, including f5, which featured NPH USA during their holiday campaign, and Microsoft, where the Devices Division sponsored a soccer tournament that raised more than $20,000.
- Support of our events grew dramatically, including our second annual NPH USA Northwest Golf Classic, and our record-breaking Gala, which raised nearly $400,000. In particular, we increased our corporate sponsorship significantly from past years.
- We welcomed 180 new child sponsors, and 13 Northwest donors contributed $5,000 each to provide a scholarship for a university student at NPH.
- Nine international volunteers from the Northwest did a year or more of service in one of the NPH homes in 2016.
- Ross Egge joined our Northwest staff team, after 11 years working on the ground with NPH in our homes, and we welcomed Jacqueline Shrader as the new Program Director of the NPH Seattle Institute.
- We moved to a new office space (same building) – come visit us!
Looking ahead to 2017, we are excited to see you at one of our upcoming events. Our Associate Board hosts its annual Carnaval for a Cause on February 25th, 2017 – come join 350+ NPH supporters for a fun night of dancing and music! On Friday, March 24th, we will welcome Chris Hoyt back to Seattle for our annual Faces of Hope luncheon in Bellevue. Chris was recently appointed Chief Operating Officer of NPH International and will share NPH’s educational philosophy and work with us, along with a few other special guest speakers. Please contact us to be a corporate sponsor or table captain today! You can also start planning now for our NPH USA NW Golf Classic on June 1 at Newcastle, or consider joining us on our trip to NPH Guatemala July 1-7, 2017, led by NPH’s Director of Family Services, Donna Egge.
Most importantly, we cherish our relationships and friendships with you, as we work together to transform the lives of the children at NPH and beyond. We always welcome your calls and visits to our office in Bellevue – please feel free to reach out to us anytime with questions, concerns, feedback – or just to say hello.